Saturday, March 12, 2011

Couldn't stay away

I loved my Dakshinayan experience so much the first time, that I knew when I got home from India that I had to go again. I wanted to go for three months because the first time I stayed only for one which just hadn't been long enough. After one month, you feel like you've only just got into the swing of things, particularly with teaching as it takes a while to get to know the children and their abilities and its nice once you know them to continue.

Teaching in Class One

My time at the school was absolutely amazing but definitely challenging. The main reason being that I was the only volunteer for two out of the three months, whereas on my first trip, there had been four of us which completely changed the atmosphere. However, I am now so proud of myself for doing it and it meant that I was actually really encouraged and motivated to learn Hindi in order to be able to communicate more. This has also helped me further on in my travels and I can honestly say that I learnt as much from the children as they did from me.

I completely love the children. Teaching is very fun, although difficult as there is a language barrier, in particular with the younger children. You find yourself really having to use your imagination in the exercises you create and the way you present things. This can be hard but the children's enthusiasm and energy is brilliant. I will miss hearing the kids voices in my head greeting me 'Good Morning Miss' - I love it!

Class One at the temple

Dakshinayan also suited me as I loved living the simple life. Being so remote and without electricity is definitely not for everyone and I know so many people that it would drive mad. However I am so happy with the basics - delicious homemade Indian food, watching sunrise and sunset, being outdoors, having time to read and learn, going to bed early, not spending money. I think it's great and the place is just so calm. It was also fun to be there for several festivals including Republic day, Saraswati Puja and Diwali as the children get very excited.

I'd recommend going with someone, or when there are other volunteers , as it is very nice to be able to talk about your experiences with someone else. However at the same time, if you relish a challenge I would say go alone, its a terrifying experience and when I first got there I was wondering what the hell I had done. But I now feel so much more happy in myself as I have learnt that I can be content and at ease alone, other people are a bonus. I can honestly say that I will never be bored again when I am alone because Dakshinayan taught me to be creative and resourceful and to spend long amounts of time with myself!

Celebrations on Republic Day

I could literally talk about the school for hours and am happy for anyone to contact me reneeberkhout@gmail.com with questions. I have lots of good things to say and some not so good (for example I wish there were more teachers there) however, even the 'bad' things are worth experiencing for yourself as I really learnt a great deal about the troubles faced by small NGO's and also the problems in the region of Jharkhand. I was able to witness them for myself which was extremely interesting and I wish the school and any future volunteers the best of luck. It's a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment