Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lucy Nacson-Jones

I was lucky enough to spend a month volunteering at Dakshaniyan in January 2011 with my friend Renne. Trying to put into words my experience at the project is actually more challenging than I thought; I don't think I will really be able to capture the effect that the place had on me.

I don't think I have ever achieved the level of contentment that I was able to get on the project anywhere else before. The environment is so calm and peaceful and what's more, very beautiful. My favourite time of the day was sunrise and sunset which allowed me to let my gaze wander upon this very special backdrop. To be in the heart of rural India was on a personal level very liberating and not at all intimidating, as I thought I might be when you are so cut off from everything. It was also a great way to see another and very contrasting aspect of Indian life to the big cities. 

The children are also of course what makes Dakshaniyan so special. We were teaching Maths and English for 3 hours (1 hour of English and 1/2 hour of Maths for each class) a day which was divided between Class 2 and 3. I was actually very glad to teach Maths as well as it allowed a bit of variety for both myself and the students. I really enjoyed the teaching and although I had difficulties trying to translate to them what I wanted them to do, particularly to Class 2 whose English isn't so good, this was all part of the challenge. It was also quite different to any teaching I have done before and meant that I really had to learn how to adapt lessons and make them the most beneficial for them. But we had some good fun along the way singing songs and playing games - educational of course! Their enthusiasm to learn is what motivates you every day and I miss their smiles and laughter that radiated around the school when they were there


Life at Dakshaniyan is very simple and a way of life that I adapted to very quickly. Waking up art 5.30 and being bed by 9.30 seemed very natural and I really had some of the best nights sleep I have ever had! Not only were we well rested, but also well fed - the food was yummy and even better knowing that you had help make it or picked the vegetables for it. I am so happy that now I can make chapati the proper way!


Living like this certainly made me question how I live in England and the extent to which we rely on 'necessities' that really are not necessities but indulgences that have become so much part of our everyday routines that we can't imagine our lives without them. I was really very grateful to have the time to contemplate these kind of things and trying to understand the differences in cultures etc.


I initially somewhat apprehensive that I may get bored when we weren't teaching but actually after planning our lessons and helping with the chores around the school, it was very easy to fill our time and the days flew by. I was very grateful for having some time to be able to do things that in England, it can be such an effort to do such as reading and writing. We also learnt some Hindi on the way and it was good fun having 'conversation exchanges' with Bansi and Shanku.

The month at the project was a very interesting insight into a grassroots organasation and the difficulties that come maintaining it - things that you don't realise until you're there. My only regret is that we were not able to have stayed there for longer than a month. I feel very lucky to have found a project like this and I have seen the true benefits that it is having on the local communities. I can only recommend volunteering here, you will no doubt have a truly amazing experience. I really hope that I too will be back there soon....If you have any questions, please email me at l.nacsonjones@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment